the 4 C's
I like using a basic sugar cookie recipe that incorporates aromatic cinnamon, coffee, and clove. They smell irresistible! And they taste damn great, too. I have very little willpower when I have these around. You can use any cricket powder you find online, and the finely ground crickets leave no noticeable trace in either texture of appearance. It is actually the coarseness of the coffee that you will notice when you eat them. I highly suggest you give these a try!
• 2 cups all-purpose baking flour
• 1/2 cup cricket powder (100% ground-up crickets!)
• 2 tsp. baking powder
• 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp. ground cloves
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1 Tbs. fresh coffee grounds
• 1 cup butter, room temperature
• 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 2 egg
• 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line large cookie sheets with parchment or grease well. Set aside. I use four cookies sheets and baked in two batches in order to avoid cookies spreading into each other.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, cricket powder, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, coffee and salt together and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until well blended and “fluffy.” It takes a few minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until fully incorporated and then add the vanilla.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Place the dough, in 1-inch balls, about 2-inches apart on the cookie sheets.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned on the edges but soft in the middle. Cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a wire rack to fully cool.