"The Early Bird Gets The Cricket” Muffins - 2015 WINNER!
yield: 12 MUFFINS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
total time: 40 MINUTES
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup 100% pure cricket powder (or up to 1/3 flour ratio for more protein!)
1 cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup milk
3/4 cup applesauce
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups carrot, grated (about 3 medium carrots)
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup crushed pineapple
1/2 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease or place cupcake wrappers in a standard-size, 12-cup muffin pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, cricket powder, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, applesauce, brown sugar, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract.
4. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and whisk just until all ingredients are incorporated. Gently stir in the carrots, 1/2 cup coconut, raisins and pineapple.
5. Divide the mixture between the muffin cups. Cups should be filled to the top.
6. Sprinkle tops evenly with remaining coconut.
7. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until muffin tops spring back when poked and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tin. Serve plain or with butter, if desired.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 – 3 days, or freeze.
Chocolate Cup with Cashew and Cricket Cream Ingredients
1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup cashews
½ cricket flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1 ½ whipping cream
2 tbsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1.Blend together the cashew and cricket flour in a blender until smooth (add a few tbsp of water to help get a creamy texture)
2. Add in 2 tbsp of vanilla extract to the blended mixture
3. In a separate bowl whip 1 ½ cups of heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
4. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar to the whipping cream slowly and blend until you can’t see sugar lumps on the surface
5. Take the cashew mixture and fold it into the whipped cream making sure not to overmix.
7. Put the mixture into a piping bag with a metal piping tip
8. Melt the chocolate chips and add 3 tbsp of vegetable oil.
9. Take 1 tbsp of the chocolate and pour into mini cupcake tin liner and put the tray into the fridge.
10. After the chocolate has cooled pipe a small amount of the cream into the center of the cups (add any kind of fruit on top).
11. Add 2 tbsp of the melted chocolate on top until fully covered and set to cool for 20 minutes.
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup 100% pure cricket powder
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray 9- x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, then set aside.
2. In large bowl, whisk cornmeal with flour, cricket powder, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined. Set aside.
3. In medium bowl, whisk milk with melted butter, honey, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Add milk mixture to cornmeal mixture, and use spatula or wooden spoon to stir until just combined.
4. Transfer batter to prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Let corn bread cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Space Hop Flat Bread with Amogio Sauce
2 cups of diced tomatoes; no need to peel
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 or more cloves or garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons or more of minced basil
a squirt of lemon juice
pinch table salt
pinch finely ground pepper
2 cups flour
1 cup Cricket flour
1 1/4 water
1 tsp salt
1 tbl spoon mixed spices (garlic, rosemary, salt, dried tomato pieces, and whichever pepper one prefers)
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees
2 . Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and begin kneading with hands
this will take approximately 5 minutes until it is a non powdery ball of dough.
3. Once the substance is non powdery, roll into a ball and cut in half
cut the two halves in half and continue until cutting the halves until there are sixteen slices
4. Roll each of these into a ball
5. Put the individual rolls on a cutting board and take a rolling pin, rolling each ball into flat cakes about 1/4 inch thick
6. Finally same spices but cut with 2-3 table spoons of olive oil based over the top thinly with a cooking brush, leaning towards not enough vs too much
7. Cook in oven for 7-8 minutes checking them to make sure they don't bubble
8. Put Amogio ingredients through the blender and mix well until desired consistency
Chocolate Cricket Bundt Cake
1 cup unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup 100% pure cricket powder
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon confectioners sugar (optional)
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 10 or 12-cup Bundt pan and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, salt, and water and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, just until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cricket powder, sugar, and baking soda. Add half of the melted butter mixture and whisk until completely blended. The mixture will be thick. Add the remaining butter mixture and whisk until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until completely blended. Whisk in the sour cream and the vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a rack. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve when cool.
Alternative "mini cakes" option: Line mini muffin pan with mini muffin paper cups, fill each cup about 3/4 full, and bake for 20-25 mins.
Bread Machine Rosemary Cricket Bread
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons crushed dried rosemary
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup 100% pure cricket powder
1. Pour the water into the pan of a bread machine, then sprinkle in the yeast and sugar.
2. Let the mixture sit in the bread machine until a creamy foam forms on top of the water (about 10 minutes).
3. Sprinkle in the salt, then add the olive oil, thyme, garlic powder, rosemary and flour.
4. Set the machine for light crust setting, and start the machine.
Recipe is for a 1.5 lb loaf.
Cook time ~ 3hrs.